Monday, March 7, 2016

No Makeup March: Day 7


Yes, that's right, I've failed you. I bought makeup. Barely a week has gone by of March, and I've bought makeup.

But I didn't buy it just for the hell of it, mind you. I needed another lightning cable for my iPod (and was not in the market to pay $10-$15 for one), and the only place that I can find a charging cable for a good, cheap price that actually works at my local beauty supply. Now, before I went to the beauty supply, I searched high and low for a cable that was affordable for me this week, that was not in the vicinity of makeup; I tried my job, Big Lots and the dollar store before I gave up and drove myself to the beauty supply. "You still didn't have to buy any makeup," you say? This is true, if I would've had cash. But I didn't; I almost never have cash on me, and this time was no different, and the store had a $10 minimum charge for card payments. "Why didn't you just get another cord or something," you say now? I did! I actually got a lightning cable and a USB cable as a backup for my phone, and still wasn't at the minimum, so I did the only thing that I could do; I bought makeup. "You could've gotten a hair product"; that's true, if the hair products that I actually use weren't all at least $10 in the expensive ass beauty supply store; I thought about all of this, my friends, and it had to be this. Makeup is cheap in the beauty supply, and I just needed something to tip me over, so very briefly perused the makeup aisles and grabbed the first thing I didn't feel silly buying: a $6 eyeshadow palette.

the KleanColor Warm Neutrals palette

There was a Classic Neutrals or Classic Nudes palette there too, but I have so many nude eyeshadows, and this one reminded me very vaguely of the color range of the Morphe 350 palette that everyone won't shut up about, so I grabbed it, got my cables, and proceed to feel like a failure. I bought something I barely wanted, and I failed my no buy month for nothing! That's how I felt, until I opened it...and swatched it.





Keep in mind that this is a $6 palette from the beauty supply store, where there are several diamonds in the rough, but, when it comes to eyeshadow, there are more misses than hits. Almost all of the shadows were shimmery, but I love shimmer eyeshadow, and the matte shadows were still pigmented and soft to apply when I swatched it. So, I decided that maybe it wasn't a complete failure, and told myself that, if I had the damn thing, I might as well try it out, right? Here we go:


Peep them lashes.

I wanted to try out a summery, sun kissed goddess from El Dorado or something, and this is what I came up with; the flash on the camera washes out the color a little bit, but if you check out this video, I think you'll get a better idea of the actual color payoff, which was pretty damn good.
DETAILS!

PRIMER: LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer
BROWBONE: L.A. Girl HD Pro Concealer in Fawn

BASE: the Sculpt powder from the Black Radiance True Complexion Contour Palette in Medium to Dark

SHADOWS:
  • Transition:#2, in the Kleancolor Warm Neutrals Palette
  • Crease#6, in the Makeup Revolution Mattes Palette
  • Lid:
    • Center: #18, in the Kleancolor Warm Neutrals Palette, with #13 from the same palette over top
    • Inner and Outer Thirds: #6, in the Kleancolor Warm Neutrals Palette, with #5 from the same palette over top
    • Very Very Outer V: #7, in the Kleancolor Warm Neutrals Palette
    • Inner Corner: #17, in the Kleancolor Warm Neutrals Palette
  • Lower Lash Line:  
    • Outer: #6 in the Kleancolor Warm Neutrals Palette, with just a little of #6 in the Makeup Revolution Mattes Palette to smoke it out a bit
    • Inner: #18, in the Kleancolor Warm Neutrals Palette
  Since I only used the MUR palette for a little touch of matte, I'm still counting this as a One Palette Wonder

MASCARA: L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes
Though I'm bummed that I broke my no buy vow, I'm pleased with this palette for the price, and look forward to using it in the future. Also, the challenge is still on! I'd like to think that one day out of 31 isn't a complete and total failure. 
Later!

x Ashlan

No comments:

Post a Comment