Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Fortune Favours The Shimmers

So, yesterday, I finally, finally, got my package from the Makeup Revolution website, which included the original Golden Sugar blush palette, the Beyond Flawless palette, and the gorgeous Fortune Favours The Brave palette, which is in collaboration with a lady named Jane, or the British Beauty Blogger (I think that's her blogging name? I really don't know). The palette is gorgeous, see here:

The shadows are named as follows:
 Row 1: Glimmer, Buffer, Peachy, Hope, Fortune, Skylight, Transformer, Midnight Rainbow
Row 2: Ice Cloud, Golden Coins, Cashmere, Tip Top, Yes Please, Green Machine, Smoothie
Row 3: Caffeine Fix, Latte Pink Diamond, Creme, Drama Queen, Lonely Planet, Blacqua
Row 4: Soft, New World, Favour, Sunset Hour, Super Gold, Winning, Brave, The Revolution

And the outside packaging is beautiful, too; I don't have a picture on hand, so here is a video I did of me opening the palette, where you can see the outside packaging, too. It really is a stunning palette, and with a breathtaking color choice in regards to the shadows, and the marbled/baked pans have no competition, in my book.

But the mattes.

Honestly, not just the mattes. There were one or two shimmery colors that just didn't show up on my skintone, but they were in the minority. There are, I think, about ten matte shades in this palette, and about 4.5 of them suck. No matter how much I rubbed my hand in the shadow, the color did not show up on my skin whatsoever; there are, then twenty satin/shimmer/baked shades in the palette, and four of them were just as bad as the mattes, so in total there were nine shadows in this palette that really, just really sucked; here's my swatch of them all, so you don't think it was just BS:


Looking at the palette, it looks like every shadow would be absolutely stunning and even annoyingly pigmented, but that just wasn't the case with some of these, so that was a bit of a letdown, but the others were truly spectacular, and for around $12 I can't really complain too too much, I just wish that it was as awe inspiring as the packaging leads it to be, as well as the people at Makeup Revolution, who posted a video of these swatches here:

Screenshot by @iva.zderic
Clearly, you can see they used some primer, and some Fix Plus, and everything else you can think of, because nobody's real swatches look like this; the deception is real.
I'm surprised at this, though, because as you can see in my swatch gallery, every other palette that I have from MUR is fantastic in regards to pigmentation, I mean I have not come across a dud yet, so why does this one have so many bad shadows? I don't know, I don't get it, but the packaging is beautiful, the mirror is huge, and those shimmers are to die for. That being said, here is the first look I did using only this palette:





It's an eyes only look today, because I had a paper that I had to do, and I just wasn't in the mood to do a whole face (or get my eyebrows together, clearly), but here it is! I was greatly influenced by the music that was playing in my background, so I ended up with a kind of fantastical, galaxy inspired smokey eye, that I like to call the Secrets of the Universe (why? I don't know). Oh, here's a video for this, too. But yeah, it was pretty nice! Ironically enough I feel limited by this palette, which has so many gorgeous colors, because of the lack of mattes, and such, but that's only because I attempted a One Palette Wonder; I think that this palette, in collaboration with another palette (or six other palettes; you know how I do), would be a force to be reckoned with. Okay, details!

BROWBONE: L.A. Girl HD Pro Concealer in Fawn
PRIMER: LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer
BASE: the Sculpt powder from the Black Radiance True Complexion Contour Palette in Medium to Dark
SHADOWS:
  • Transition: Latte, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette
  • CreaseDrama Queen, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette, with Transformer right in the crease to smoke it out
  • Lid:
    • Outer Two-Thirds: Skylight, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette, with Brave over the last third (I hope that makes sense)
    • Inner Third: Green Machine, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette
    • Inner Corner: Ice Cloud, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette 
    • Definer: Lonely Planet, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette
  • Lower Lash Line (Gradient from darkest [outer corner] to lightest [inner corner]):
    • Lonely Planet, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette
    • Sunset Hour, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette, with Super Gold over top
    • Ice Cloud, in the Makeup Revolution Fortune Favours The Brave Palette
MASCARA: L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes
I have high hopes for this palette! I can't wait to try those shimmers out with other colors in other palettes to really see what I can come up with, so we'll see how it goes in the future! Right now, I'm waiting for another package! Hopefully it gets here before I have to leave for class (I doubt it).
x Ashlan

No comments:

Post a Comment