Friday, May 4, 2018

I have been on a journey.

Technically, the journey hasn't ended; if anything it's just begun, but that's some kind of philosophical thinking. Literally, I've been on a journey. An eighteen hour journey to the other side of the world, which I mentioned to you before. I'm in Korea!

South Korea, not North Korea. I don't know why people always ask me that when I tell them.

I hit the ground running as soon as I got here and went to work to get acquainted with my kids and everything for the past two days, and when I wasn't at work I was in full blown domestic mode, buying brooms and laundry detergent and unpacking and such. It's honestly my favorite pastime, and my list of things to get for my new home hasn't gotten any shorter.

I was so worried that I would hate it when I got here, and that I would be unhappy and stuck for at least a year in an unhappy environment. When I went to visit Seoul last year, I was in such an unfriendly environment. Rather than being treated like any other person, it really felt like people were looking through me, like I was insignificant, and I honestly hated it. I said when I tried to get a job in Korea, I definitely wouldn't try for Seoul, which is why I applied to a position in Busan; it seemed to have all of the city, without the unfriendly city mentality, and so far my assumption has been accurate. With the exception of being one of the only brown skinned foreigners within a 100 mile radius, people really treat me like any other person when I'm out on the street, and I'm eternally grateful for that small blessing. Am I still foreign? Absolutely. Am I still afraid to go to the supermarket? Definitely. Will I have to go? Probably today. All in all, so far it has been a pleasant experience. I only had two kids scream when they saw me, and one of them has already warmed up to me, a little at least. Some of them actually think I'm pretty! I've heard jinjja yeppeo (really pretty), which I actually (and surprisingly) understood, but the director took it upon herself to tell me what they said anyway. So far I've been generally received as pretty in Korea, which I must say is a boost for my self esteem, because I was just about invisible in the States lol. Anyway, here's the look that I wore on my very first day at work!




I tried to keep it as simple as I possibly could lol. I skipped out on the eyeliner just in case it was a little too much for my workplace, but on the second day I took the chance and nobody said anything!

FACE:
Primer:
  • MAKE UP FOR EVER Mattifying Primer and H&M Mattifying Primer on my oily areas, set with the ELF HD Powder
  • I think I forgot to prime the rest of my face!
 Concealer:
  • E.L.F. Orange Concealer Stick under the Makeup Revolution Conceal + Define Concealer in C13 on my mouth and the shadows on my cheek
  • Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer in Tan and Caramel under my eyes.
Foundation: CoverGirl Queen Collection All Day Flawless 3-in-1 Foundation in Q825 Golden Honey
  • Applied with the Milani Prep + Soothe Camellia Oil, which I have been LOVING, and enhanced by the Nicka K New York Perfection Liquid Illuminator in Bronze under my eyes, and Go With The Glow on my forehead and chin.
Face Powder: Makeup Revolution Terra Cotta Baking Powder
Under Eye Setting Powder: Ben Nye Dolce Powder
 
BROWS:
Outline: ColourPop Brow Pencil in Black 'n Brown
Filler: E.L.F. Brow Kit in Dark
 
EYES:
Primer: Makeup Revolution Conceal + Define Concealer in C13, set with the Ben Nye Dolce Powder
Shadows:
  • Transition: Heir and Monarch, in the Bad Habit Royals Palette
  • Crease: Smolder, in the Bad Habit Inferno Palette
  • Lid: Revolution, in the Bad Habit Retro Love Palette, and Crown, in the Bad Habit Royals Palette
  • Lower Lash Line: Heir and Monarch, in the Bad Habit Royals Palette
 
Mascara: L'Oreal Paris Lash Paradise Mascara on the top lashes, Ruby Kisses Very Sexy Mascara on the bottom lashes
 
CONTOUR:
Ruby Kisses Never Touch Up Matte Finish Powder Foundation in Chestnut
 
HIGHLIGHT:
The BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in Topaz
 
BLUSH:
Yara, in the Juvia's Place The Saharan Blush Palette Vol II

LIPS:
Milani Amore Shine Lip Gloss in Tenderness
 
 
Okay, that's it for me right now! I take over the classes on Tuesday/Wednesday and I'm scared out of my wits! If I don't die of sheer terror I'll check back in.
x Ashlan

No comments:

Post a Comment